Depression Counselling Therapy
Vancouver Depression Counsellors
What is Depression?
Depression, or Major Depressive Disorder, is a mood disorder that is characterized by chronic feelings of sadness and a loss of interest or pleasure in daily activities that once brought us joy.
While experiencing feelings of sadness or disinterest may be a normal reaction to a stressful life event, extended periods of time with these feelings may indicate the presence of depression.
Symptoms of depression can impact the way we think, feel and act – impacting our relationships with both ourselves and others. In fact, depression is one of the most common mental health concerns, with roughly 8% of the Canadian population experiencing a major depressive episode throughout their lifespan.
Chronic feelings of sadness and a loss of interest or pleasure in daily activities that once brought us joy
While depression usually refers to Major Depressive Disorder (MDD), you don’t have to meet diagnostic criteria to be depressed. In fact, the word depression comes from Latin and means to “push down” – something most of us are familiar with when it comes to difficult emotions.
Signs & Symptoms
People with depression typically experience changes in one or more of the following domains:
- Mood: such as sadness, emptiness, hopelessness, loss of interest, apathy, self-loathing, irritability, frustration, anger, thoughts of suicide
- Cognition: such as trouble thinking, concentrating, delayed responses, talking more slowly, memory problems
- Behaviour: such as social withdrawal, excessive drinking or substance use, compulsive eating, aggression, self-harm behaviours
- Sleep: such as insomnia, difficulty sleeping or sleeping too much, waking up in the middle of the night, having trouble getting out of bed
- Sexual Interest: such as decreased sex drive, disinterest in sex, issues with sexual performance
- Physical Health: such as appetite changes, digestive issues, weight loss or gain, fatigue, low energy, chronic aches and pains.
Counselling Therapy for Depression
Counselling is an effective and evidence-based treatment for depression. Indeed, depression is one of the most common reasons people seek counselling, and a variety of therapeutic approaches have been shown to be helpful. Sometimes just having a supportive and non-judgmental presence can be enough to bring immense relief.
No matter what approach they take, your therapist will honour your unique experiences and walk alongside you to identify the core causes of your distress. In many cases depression develops in response to unhealed trauma, interpersonal issues, complicated grief, or even anxiety/ stress.
Your therapist will also help you cope with and manage difficult emotions, challenge negative thought patterns, and identify habits or factors that may be negatively impacting your mood. Through this process you will develop greater insight and self-awareness, and find ways to live a more authentic and meaningful life.
Depression can leave you feeling helpless, sad, and alone. Therapy can help.
Contact us below to book a consultation.