Anxiety Counselling Therapy
Vancouver Anxiety Counsellors
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety is a part of human nature – it is our mind and body’s normal reaction to threat. In fact, anxiety is key to our survival; it helps us detect and respond to danger in our environment through the fight or flight response.
In moderation, anxiety is adaptive. But when it becomes excessive it is no longer helpful. Instead of boosting performance it makes us perform worse, and we become distracted and paralyzed rather than focused and motivated. We start detecting non-existent threats and coming up with worst case scenarios. This is often referred to as catastrophizing.
We start detecting non-existent threats and coming up with worst case scenarios.
Signs & Symptoms
Anxiety shows up in differently for everyone, but some general signs are:
- Excessive worry that feels out of control
- A recurrent sense of doom or panic
- Difficulty concentrating
- Rapid breathing (hyperventilating)
- Restlessness or feeling irritable
- Fatigue or feeling weak
- Increased heart rate or palpitations
- Trouble sleeping (e.g. insomnia)
- Gastrointestinal (GI) problems
Some people experience their anxiety more physically (e.g. throat tightness or heartburn) while others are more “in their head.” Many people have a combination of both. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above and find them interfering with your day-to-day life, you may be suffering from an anxiety disorder.
Counselling Therapy for Anxiety
Counselling or “talk therapy” is a well proven and effective treatment for anxiety. While there are many different approaches available, they typically include some or all of the following elements:
- help you better understand the anxiety and panic loop
- process any past trauma that your anxiety may be rooted in
- look at factors that are increasing your anxiety (e.g. relationships, work)
- leverage your internal strengths to overcome your fears and triggers
- learn how to “turn down” your anxiety by using healthy coping skills
- learn to better identify and regulate your emotions so you feel more grounded
Living with anxiety can be exhausting and debilitating, but with the right support you can find relief.
Contact us below to book a consultation.