Welcome! My name is Shannon and I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC) specializing in couples counselling. Born and raised in Vancouver, I received both my Bachelor’s of Psychology and my Master’s in Counselling Psychology from Simon Fraser University. I am passionate about working with couples who are motivated and committed to repairing, and in many cases, saving their relationship.
In my experience, most couples who enter counselling do so because they have reached a place where they are:
- Contemplating separating (or getting back together)
- Trying to overcome a betrayal (infidelity, jealousy, breach of trust)
- Not communicating effectively
- Experiencing resentment, anger, criticism, blaming, and general relationship dissatisfaction
- Lacking intimacy, feeling unwanted, or emotionally unavailable
- Feeling overwhelmed by stress and family responsibilities (health problems, finances, kids, in-laws, blended-families)
My Approach to Therapy:
I believe that any relationship can be repaired and saved provided that both partners are willing to make an effort and I also believe that the grass is not always greener on the other side; it is green where you water it.
I work from an eclectic approach, meaning that I use a variety of clinically-proven techniques and interventions (The Gottman Method, Emotion-Focused Therapy, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy), dependent upon what arises during our sessions.
I understand that making the decision to enter couples counselling can be difficult, and there are sometimes situations when one person is not yet ready (or willing) to engage in therapy. While it is ideal to have both partners in counselling together, it is not a necessary starting point, and in some cases it can even be more beneficial to see a couples therapist individually.
I invite you to contact me by phone 604 819 7669, email email@example.com, or by using the form below.
Shannon is currently available for sessions on Friday evenings.